Work experience | Week 2

For week 2 of working with Daisy Higgins for her graduate film Bellybutton , we Skyped again to talk about my role in this project.

On top of that, restrictions were finally lifted and we’re back at university!

After briefly going over the plot of the film, Daisy suggested I could in-between the Phill Mitchell’s Rampage sequence. It’s a very roughly and loosely drawn scene, focusing on the basic structure and features of the characters. Daisy enforced that during this stage, it’s essential that the general movement looks right before anything else.

During these 3 scenes:

1 – Phil is smacking a character on the head, they faint and he growls.

2 – Phil sneaks up on someone waiting at a bus stop, he smashes them to the ground and he leans into the camera roaring.

3 – Phil picks up a character by the ears and bites their head.

Before I started, I adjusted the TV Paint brush as defined by Daisy’s settings, made sure I was animating on 2’s and 25 fps, and included as much springiness and squishiness as possible, like Daisy required.

As this was still a line test, I animated in blue for Daisy to be able to distinguish my animation and give me some intinal feedback on it.

As of now, I have completed the first scene (first 8 seconds) and I’m currently waiting on her to get back to me.

I’m really enjoying working in this project. It’s pushing me to explore the extremes of the characters’ movements and really loosen my fist.